A bird day

This morning I went out to count the Swakop River Mouth with six other birders. Two of those were young kids, and had a great time. We didn't see any rare birds, which was actually a first for me with the Swakop River Counts. We also missed Damara Terns, which we usually check up on after the Swakop River Mouth each count. There was a lot of activity in the area, and that probably chased them away.


In the late afternoon I took my family up the beach north of Swakopmund. As we passed the area where I saw the gull (it seems to have gone, dashing my chance at my first report of a proper rare bird!) I saw a dead tern.


I went to have a look. It had a ring. I have looked at litrally hundreds of dead birds. This is my first ring recovery. It's a safring ring, which may mean that it is local. The number is 5-87866. Of course I have reported it, and will let you know when I hear more.
Share this post
Digg Stumble Technorati Facebook Reddit Subscribe

0 comments: