World Wetlands Day


On the second of February it is going to be World Wetlands Day. Over the last week I have spent a significant amount of time and effort counting birds at various wetlands. So the wetlands day is currently of great significance to me.

Having lived many years in the desert (most of my life has been spent in dry areas) it is easier for me to appreciate the importance of wetlands than what it is for most people - I believe.

Wikipedia has this:

A wetland is a biome characterized by land that is saturated with moisture either permanently or seasonally. Such areas may also be covered partially or completely by shallow pools of water. Wetlands include swamps, marshes, and bogs.


Wetlands have faced numerous threats at the hands of man, and wetlands have been reduced significantly world wide. They are important areas for the livelihood of many people, including millions living in poverty. They are important to the overall health of the natural world and one good example is the importance of wetlands on birds. Birds are an easy indicator for the health of wetlands as they are easy to count. Hence the counts with which I have been involved in over the last week.

If you want to learn more go to the websites of Ramsar and Wetlands International.
Share this post
Digg Stumble Technorati Facebook Reddit Subscribe

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Didn't know you were a wetlands enthusiast! I spend much of my time mucking about is estuaries, fens, and of course muskegs.

Lovely photo!

Vernon said...

Well, its mainly to watch birds, but now I am learning all about wetlands and their importance.